Monday, May 21, 2012

Endings and Commencement

Wow. What a week. I don't really know where to start, so I guess I'll go for my usual approach: rough timeline.

Finals went well. It was kind of crazy, what with grading movie reviews and two class's finals, but luckily none of my finals were very demanding, so I didn't have to spend too much time studying. EXCEPT for my orals. I spent almost every free hour studying for those, right up until the oral exam itself. I'm so glad there were 5 of us to spread the talking load. The goal of the exam is to gauge whether we can converse freely and knowledgeably about the philosophical topics and concepts we've learned. And me? I don't converse well. Especially under pressure. So having other people there to take the bulk of the conversational load until I could relax a little was very welcome. (It went fine overall, by the way. I checked my old senior seminar grade, and it didn't go down, so I guess I made an A!)

The president of Samford, Andy Westmoreland, hosted a reception at his home. His house is EPIC. I don't think I've ever been in a house that big, that nice, that immaculate and people actually live in it. I seriously walked in and thought, "This house could be a museum." It definitely has enough interesting, random side rooms, and I bet there are enough hidden things. He's got a pretty awesome view of campus, too. After the reception was the last Shiloh of the year, just for seniors. (Shiloh, if I haven't mentioned it before, is a campus worship service that I fell in love with back in my freshman year. It's another blessing Samford's provided for me.) It was a small gathering, and the message the speakers gave was much needed.

The breakfast-for-dinner at my friends' apartment was so much fun. We all had things to do the next morning, so we didn't stay very late. And we were pretty busy eating delicious pancakes and bacon and reliving old memories to play music, but that's fine by me. We had a blast. :) (And those pancakes were perfect. Blueberry, chocolate chips, plain, and even some made with Nutella in the batter!!)

Training was pretty awesome, too. We've been working on some things that are really challenging for me, so it's been extra fun. Plus, there's just something special about looking around at the people you've spent so much time with and seeing them for the blessings they are. I guess it's the way things go, that you don't really look at the relationships you've been blessed with until you know things are about to significantly change. Might not be a bad idea for me to take that perspective more often. Anyway, I was so happy to spend another week training with these awesome people. Got to hang out for post-training dinner and beer at On Tap on Monday, too. :)

Commencement was... incredible. Seeing my closest friends in their caps and gowns, my professors in their doctoral regalia, receiving and giving congratulations and nervous/excited smiles while we wait in the halls. Walking in and knowing that everyone in the arena is there for one of the hundreds of students around me, and that some of them are there for me. Walking across that stage, shaking the President Westmoreland's hand, and receiving my "certificate of participation in commencement" (the real diploma comes in the mail soon) - THAT was incredible. And I know the rest of the audience probably tuned out after their student's name was called, but it's a different story for those of us down on the floor. I still had more friends to watch for, to silently cheer for, and to smile for. This was our day.

The speakers encouraged us and the rest of the audience to leave that place and be a force of positive change in the world. No place is the same after you've been there, but I hope I help spark at least one big reaction for the kingdom of God. Paul wrote this to the Corinthians: "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Cor. 10:31) I'm not certain about the specifics of what I'll be doing, but as long as it's done for the glory of God, I know I'll be doing something worthwhile. That's all I can really ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Curtain: The Other Story

My previous post was an exercise in acknowledging all of the space I'm in. The fact that I have some consistent themes to my internal (a...