Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Adventures of Katalina

The following is an indisputably, undeniably, validated, and 100% true story (possibly).

Presented with the challenge of working 3 days of double shifts, the our dedicated heroine looked Schedule Sheet in the eyes and said, eyes squinted like cowboys in old Westerns, "Is that all you've got? You ain't so tough. Bring it on, Schedule Sheet." And so, she, along with her comrades, buckled down for days stacked upon days of grueling double shifts. Fatigue battered at their resolve - some requested that someone else be found for one or two of their shifts, so that they could rest. But she refused to yield, even when the great and powerful ruler of the land offered to haggle something with the insidious Schedule Sheet. Nay, not even then did she yield. And when the All-Father rewards his faithful servants on Friday, she will reap the benefits of a substantial number of paid work hours.

When Schedule Sheet allowed her a break on Sunday, she knew she had to act fast if she wanted to fraternize with her friends, whom the universe had gathered into one city for the weekend. She rose shortly after the sun and brought her shining, magical steed from its stable; it had been a gift to her family from the gods. It was said to possess the power of 136 horses, and this would be the morning she put that alleged strength and speed to the test. The god-given gift proved its worth, gallantly galloping forth with gusto. (Okay, I'll stop.) Our daring heroine reached her destination with time to spare, despite a late start.


She spent the day studying a fighting style not too dissimilar from her nation's soldiers. Afterward, she again mounted mounted her magical steed and hastened to tidy up and meet her comrades for meat and beer. Twas a marvelous night of friendship and laughter. The next morning, she rose early yet again and galloped forth to reunite with a close friend and his fiancee. The broke fast at a fine establishment known as The Pancake House (not to be confused with The International House of Pancakes), and enjoyed both food and company.


Shortly thereafter, she departed for home. As planned, her arrival allowed her about an hour's time to set her packs down and get ready to return to her work for the Schedule Sheet. She again worked the tiring "double shift," and was so exhausted from the weekend and the day that she was mentally incapable of taking pen to paper to record the events.


~~~~~~

Apparently I'm also incapable of writing the rest of that post in the same manner - at least, not in a timely manner. Started that Tuesday, July 21, I think. It was fun to write, but it's already time for the new one (which is also late). So, here's the fly-by of the rest of what went on.

  • Got some amazing time with my family the weekend after the martial arts seminar. Over half my family lives either out of state or out of country, so it was really nice to have everyone together for at least a weekend.
  • Sort of started Warrior Dash strength training again. Not very consistently, though. Waking up and working out before work isn't very easy, lol.


And now for the fly-by of what's going on now!

  • Haven't had to work any more double shifts. Which is nice, because those are pretty tiring, but they did boost my paycheck nicely.
  • Strength training continues to be spotty. Did a CrossFit workout Saturday morning, which went pretty well. Might try and substitute the WD workouts for those.
  • My foot is still healing, so I still can't run. But, I discovered that I can do a light jog for at least a couple minutes, and I can also bike. So, I'm going to buy a new bike lock (forgot the combination for the one on it now) and bike to work as often as I can. It's not far away - a mile or less. More fuel efficient, too.
  • This past weekend was amazing. Rode a Greyhound bus down to Birmingham, met with a friend, and we continued on toward Atlanta. Six people, myself included, stayed in a 2-bedroom apartment with one bathroom; it was awesome. :)
  • I was in Atlanta for another martial arts seminar, this one taught by a highly regarded teacher. I was really looking forward to it, and I wasn't disappointed. I got a lot of notes (more, once my friend sends out the photos he took of everyone's notes, plus the ones we came up with in the car ride back to Birmingham).
  • I'm planning a seminar for Huntsville, a repeat of the one I partially attended in Birmingham. It's been a fun learning experience, getting everything together.
  • My managers asked me to come in to work 30 minutes early today so we could sit down and talk. Freaked out a little at first, but as I continued to mull it over, trying to figure out what they could possibly want to talk to me about, I had to conclude that it wasn't bad. In fact, it might even be something good; I'm a hard worker, and I do my job well. Turns out I was right. They hadn't recognized me for my work earlier because I was flying under the radar, quietly doing a great job - their words. Sounds right to me, haha. Anyway, they wanted to talk to me about training me as a shift leader. It's more responsibility and higher pay. I'll be learning about what my duties would be and how to do them over the next couple weeks, and I'll let them know if it's something I'd like to do. So, that was an awesome start to my morning. :)
  • Oh, and one of my cook friends at work offered to teach me Spanish. Which is pretty awesome. But I have to be on guard, because all those cooks are outright flirtatious. I think it's cultural, but still. I would like to learn real conversational Spanish, though (as opposed to the classroom Spanish I learned in high school).


Sorry this was so late!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Curtain: The Other Story

My previous post was an exercise in acknowledging all of the space I'm in. The fact that I have some consistent themes to my internal (a...