Monday, June 11, 2012

Growing Pains

Apparently I just had to call life out on that conspiracy thing, because it seems to have let off for now. Ha! Take that, life!! (Du-dunuh-du, dunuh, dunuh, can't touch this.)

Entertainment
I'm neck deep in a marathon of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'm about halfway through season 3, and loving every minute. It's so great to revisit these episodes and remember all the little things that made me love this show. :)

I'm also making decent headway on Lord of Chaos. I'm in a bit of a race with one of my friends (who's on book 2, whereas I'm on 6; I had a solid head start), so there's extra motivation to keep pushing forward.

Growth
I was recently challenged to get involved in some sort of service ministry - tutoring, serving food, that kind of thing - and to do a Bible study with one or more of my friends who are around my age. So, I decided to volunteer at the Manna House, which is where some people I know from my church serve. The Manna House is run by a local church and provides food, clothing, hardware, and toiletry items for free to families in need. I first heard about them when the tornadoes hit last year and so many people needed food and supplies. It was great volunteering with them, and I hope to go back soon. All the people volunteering there are so incredible, and I think I'd really like getting to know them better and to serve alongside them.

As for the Bible study, I've been really interested in learning more about the Holy Spirit lately. One of the best books out there right now on the subject is The Forgotten God by Francis Chan. I asked one of my friends from church if she would be interested in doing a study on it with me, and she agreed. We're meeting tomorrow for the first section in the study. I'm pretty excited about it. :)

Warrior Dash
Last week was my first strength training week. I'm still not sure if I'm reading the workout log right, but it's working, either way. The workouts aren't impossible, but they are definitely challenging. Looking forward to getting in shape and building up some muscle again!

I decided not to do any running this past week; I wanted to wait for my new running shoes to come in. They came in on Thursday and I ordered some inserts, which came in the next day. They feel pretty good, and I'm looking forward to taking them out for a spin.

There's a playground and an amphitheater up on the mountain (which is also where I run, sometimes), so I went up there one afternoon to see what kinds of exercises I could create that might better simulate the obstacles I'll be facing on the course. It was pretty fun climbing up and down ladders, running up slides, swinging across monkey bars, and so forth. The amphitheater was an especially good workout; lots of jumping, balanced running, and leaping. On my way back to the car, I saw some large rocks lining the parking lot, and figured it'd be fun to try and jump from one to the other. Dumbest idea ever.

Foot Injury
I landed my first leap fine for about one second, then my left foot slipped or something and my ankle rolled out, causing me to fall. It hurt quite a bit, and I spent about a minute just kneeling on the ground waiting for my foot to stabilize and get over the initial shock, so I could better gauge the severity. (I wasn't that rational about it at the time. It was more like, "Oh no! Just be still and maybe it'll stop hurting.") When that subsided, I stood up and tested to see if I could put weight on my foot - I could, but it hurt too much to take a proper step. Good thing I was already in the parking lot, because my car was maybe 100' away, and I could easily hop over there. I started elevating it and putting cold things on it as soon as possible, and continued that protocol when I got back home. There were 2 distinct lumps the first night, but they've since melded into one.

See that big reddish bump? The other bump is
smaller and directly below it. This was the
first night.

We decided not to go to the ER that first night, and to just wait and see what would happen. We've got some crutches on hand, so I used those over the weekend to get around. They're not that bad, really. I learned pretty quick how to maneuver corners, stairs, slopes, and various directions. It does get tiring after a while, though.

I went to the doctor today, and he thinks it may be a ligament strain, which was great news to me. We were looking at web articles and thinking it might be a fracture - which hasn't been ruled out - and fractures take at least 6 weeks to heal. But a strain would just take a couple weeks! The sooner I can heal up and get back to training (both martial arts and for Warrior Dash), the better. I went and got some X-Rays to rule out the fracture; the results will be in tomorrow morning, and I'll update once I know the verdict. Even then, though, it might be too soon for the fracture to show up, so if it hasn't mostly healed in a couple weeks, I'll go back in for another X-Ray to see if the fracture shows up then.

For now, though, I got this fancy walking boot! I can walk around and have both my hands free!! :D

So stylish!

The area of the injury is still pretty sore when I put weight on my foot in certain ways, and that foot's had a lot more activity today than it has all weekend. I'll keep up the ice and elevation as needed, but it's really more "very uncomfortable" than full-on pain, which I'm grateful for. Here's hoping it's just a ligament strain!!


That's all for now. I'll post an update tomorrow once I know the results of the X-Rays. TTFN, ta-ta for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Behind the Curtain: The Other Story

My previous post was an exercise in acknowledging all of the space I'm in. The fact that I have some consistent themes to my internal (a...